Friday, January 16, 2009

First Post

First blog, first post. Oy, the pressure. Start with anything. No one will read this but myself. The purpose of this blog is to help me make my house a more beautiful (and organized) sanctuary for my husband and myself, and an inviting place for guests.

We know that if someone measures or records progress, they're more likely to move toward their goal. (But let's leave the topic of goals for another post.) So I'm hoping that if I document this process in some way - try to be real about it - I may grope my way toward a satisfying outcome. I'll get into what the issues are later. The important thing is: no judgement.

I know I'm supposed to start with the outcome in mind, set goals, and break things into manageable tasks. Knowing all this has not helped me so far. Even occasionally trying it has had very limited success. So I'm going to try this approach, an approach which I plan to make up as I go along. :-)

Since in real life I'm a fairly private person, why not just keep an online journal -- why a blog? Partly because I guess I'm hoping for some kindred company along the way. Mostly because it's a fantastic way to procrastinate!

Ok now I've set up this blog (which is a word I don't actually like - sounds like blaah.....gue). Better actually do something about the house today. I'm in a coffeeshop, so when I go home I will....make dinner? and after that.....something that will feel significant, even if it's only a small thing. I'll decide when I get home.



3 comments:

  1. Good luck.

    I think I've given up (at least for a while) having a haven for me and my family. With three boys, I'm lucky that the walls are still standing.

    I hope to be inspired by your progress though.

    Keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea why I started a blog either...I guess I really am trying to find some kindred spirits and read some stuff that makes me laugh! Good luck with your writing! I haven't written in a couple of days, but I'm hankering for some writing myself!

    I look forward to reading more from you! Oh, and I'm so glad we don't have any problems with the songs in our heads. Mine are usually from the 80s...how about you???

    ReplyDelete
  3. PFunky, Today it was a lot of Tom Waits. But it ranges a lot.

    Nice to meet you! Gotta break away from the keyboard now -- lightbulbs to change, neighbors to see....
    SC

    ReplyDelete